ANTONIO MORMONE INTERNATIONAL PRIZE
(updated after COVID-19 pandemic)
1. Following the spirit and ideals of its Founder, the Foundation La Societa’ dei Concerti organises the Antonio Mormone International Prize to discover, promote and develop young artists able to pursue an international concert career. The 2019/2021 edition of the Prize is dedicated to the piano.
The first selection round will take place between July and September 2019, the second round between October 2019 and June 2021. The final rounds will be set in Milan at the “G. Verdi” Conservatory and the Teatro alla Scala from the 7th to the 11th of July 2021.
2. The registered office of the Prize is in Milan, at the Foundation La Societa’ dei Concerti – 20122 – Corso di Porta Vittoria 18.
Who is eligible
2. Pianists between 18 and 28 years of age, born between the 1st of January 1992 and the 31st of December 2001 are eligible for participation.
3. Submission of applications is exclusively on-line on the Prize website www.antoniomormone.org, by completing the required form no later than the 4th of July 2019, at 23.59 GMT+1.
The on-line application must be filled in each part and applicants need to submit:
- Applicant biography (in Italian or English, max. 1500 characters, spaces included),
- A pdf of a valid identity document with proof of nationality and age,
- One recent colour photograph suitable for publication, in jpg format,
- Two letters of recommendation, in pdf format. One letter by the applicant’s most recent teacher, the other by an eminent personality from the music scene,
- Any school or international award diplomas, in pdf format,
- Links to videos (up to 5) previously uploaded by the applicant in his/her account in unlisted mode on the digital platforms YouTube or Vimeo. Only recent videos will be admitted (recorded in the two years preceding the application submission), with an excellent audio quality, with the face and hands of the applicant always visible, without transitions or editing. Both studio recordings and public live performances may be submitted, provided they contain only piano solo repertoires (in case of a piece with more than one movement, the piece must be complete and performed in one take). The minimum overall duration of the submitted videos is 40 minutes and the maximum 60 minutes. It is mandatory to submit a complete Sonata by one the following composers: Haydn/Mozart/Beethoven/Schubert,
In addition, every candidate will have to present:
- Two recital program proposals, lasting 40 minutes each, for the second round of public selection in Milan,
- For the final round, the applicant needs to indicate three preferences among the following Piano Quintets:
- Schumann, Piano Quintet in E flat major op. 44
- Dvorak, Piano Quintet in A major op. 81
- Brahms, Piano Quintet in F minor op. 34
- Shostakovich, Piano Quintet in G minor op. 57
- Franck, Piano Quintet in F minor
- Martucci, Piano Quintet in C major op. 45
- For the final round, the applicant needs to indicate five preferences among the following Piano Concertos:
- W.A. Mozart K 466; K 467; K 488; K 491; K 595
- Beethoven, all
- Chopin op. 11 e op. 21
- Schumann op. 54
- Liszt nr 2
- Brahms op. 15 e op. 83
- Saint-Saens nr 2
- Rachmaninov nr 1; nr 2; nr 3; nr 4
- Tchaikowsky nr 1; nr 2
- Prokofiev nr 2; nr 3
- Sgambati op.15
- Bartòk nr 3
4. The applicant will receive an email with confirmation and approval of application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
5. In the event of any technical issues during the on-line submission process, the applicant needs to contact the Administrative Office of the Prize at least 48 hours prior to the submissions deadline by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. The application fee for the Prize is €150, payable by credit card upon registration and with the form provided.
7. Decisions taken by the jury are incontestable. All rights to each performance, audio or/and video recording of the Prize belong to the Foundation La Societa’ dei Concerti. Recordings, streaming, radio or television broadcastings of the performances do not, by any means, give eligibility to any kind of remuneration for the performer or performers. The registration to participate in the Antonio Mormone International Prize entails the implicit acceptance of all the rules in the current Regulation. In the event of claims or complaints only the Italian language version of the rules will be applicable. The Court of Milan will be competent for any dispute.
9. The Prize is one and indivisible It is composed as follows:
- € 30.000 (euro thirty thousand) before any tax deductions by law,
- One year representation by Baldrighi Agency,
- A recording on Universal,
- Performances for: Foundation La Società dei Concerti, Milan; Accademia Filarmonica Romana; Musica Insieme, Bologna; Amici della Musica, Florence; Festival Pianistico Internazionale, Brescia and Bergamo: Camerata Ducale, Vercelli; Teatro Comunale, Carpi; Festival Le Classiche Forme; Stuttgarter Philharmoniker; Nürnberger Symphoniker; StaatsPhilharmonie Rheinland Pfalz; Württembergische Philharmonie Reutlingen; NWD Philharmonie; Festival Sant Pere de Rodes; Hammerklavier International Piano Series; Besalù Festival; Buffalo Philharmonic; Virginia Symphony Orchestra; Tongyeong International Music Festival; Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Katowice; Konzerthaus Berlin Bechstein Series.
10. Other prizes for finalists:
- Prize of € 5.000 (euro five thousand) before any tax deductions by law for each one of the two finalists not awarded the Antonio Mormone International Prize.
- Prize of the Friends of the Prize Club: € 1.000 (euro one thousand) offered by the Friends of the Antonio Mormone International Prize to the candidate who receives the greatest number of votes from the Club.
Selection rounds of the Antonio Mormone International Prize
The Antonio Mormone International Prize comprises three rounds of selection.
First round: video and dossier 1. In the months of July, August and September 2019 the jury of the fist selection round will evaluate the videos and dossiers submitted by candidates with their application.
2. On the 4th of October 2019, the names of the 10 (ten) candidates selected to advance to the second round of selection will be announced.
Second round: travelling jury and public concerts in Milan
The second round of selection takes place between the 15th of October 2019 and the June 2021. The ten candidates advancing to the second round will be granted a € 500, 00 scholarship offered by Yamaha Music Europe.
1. Each candidate will inform the Administrative Office of the Prize no later than the 11th of October 2019, about the dates of his/her public performances (three at least) between the 15th of October 2019 and the June 2021. A public performance is defined as solo recitals, concerts with orchestra, chamber concerts promoted by public theatre bodies, festivals, series of concerts, universities and/or academies and music schools all over the world At least one member of the second jury will listen incognito to at least two public performances of the candidates.
Milano round recital and the candidates tell their stories to the city
2. Additionally, each candidate selected for the second round will perform in two public concerts in Milan, organised by the Foundation La Società dei Concerti Those performances, with a program chosen by the candidate when applying, will be structured as follows:
- A 25-minute recital and an interview when the candidate introduces him/herself to the public during the event called “The candidates tell their stories to the City”,
- A 40-minute solo recital for the series named “Incontri Musicali” (Musical Encounters).
3. The dates of the performances in Milan for each candidate selected for the second round will be decided at the sole discretion of the organiser of the Prize and communicated by the 15th of October 2019.
Failure to participate in the recitals in Milan in the second round of selection will result in the disqualification of the candidate from the Antonio Mormone International Prize.
The organization will provide for travel expenses and lodging in Milan for each candidate.
4. On Wednesday 16th of June 2021, the names of the 3 (three) pianists advancing to the final will be announced during a press conference.
Third round: Solo recital, chamber music performance and concert with orchestra in Milan
The final round comprises three public performances in Milan from the 7th to the 11th of July 2021 for all three final candidates.
Solo recital and chamber music performance
1. Solo recital and chamber music performance with the following dates:
- Wednesday, 7th of July 2021 6:00 p.m. – Sala Verdi in the Conservatory of Milan
- Thursday, 8th of July 2021 6:00 p.m. – Sala Verdi in the Conservatory of Milan
- Friday, 9th of July 2021 6:00 p.m. – Sala Verdi in the Conservatory of Milan
The solo recital with a free program to be communicated to the artistic direction of the Prize by the 20th of June 2021 must not exceed 60 minutes. It must include a Sonata by Beethoven and the contemporary composition by Ivan Fedele specifically commissioned for the Prize. The score of the contemporary piece (lasting about 8 minutes) will be provided by the 16th of June 2021 after the press conference for the announcement of the three finalists. All the pieces that will be performed must be of public domain.
The solo program of the final round must be completely different from the one presented during the public performances in Milan for the second round. Playing by heart is mandatory, except for both chamber and contemporary repertoires. The candidates will provide the jury with two copies of the scores of their program, in the version of their performance.
The chamber music performance, with the participation of the Quartetto Adorno, requires the candidate to play a Piano Quintet. The piece that the candidate will perform will be assigned by the artistic direction of the Prize by the 16th of June 2021 after the press conference for the announcement of the three finalists, taking into consideration the preferences expressed by the candidate in the application form.
The candidates will provide the jury with two copies of the scores of their program, in the version of their performance.
2. Piano Concertos will take place on:
Sunday the 11th of July 2021 8:00 p.m. – Teatro alla Scala in Milan
The candidate will perform a piano concerto with the Orchestra of the Accademia Teatro alla Scala. The piano concerto that the candidate will perform will be communicated by the artistic direction of the Prize by the the 16th of June 2021 after the press conference for the announcement of the three finalists, taking into consideration the preferences expressed by the candidate in the application form.
The organization will provide for travel expenses and lodging in Milan for the finalists for the entire period of the third round.
At the end of the final evening at the Teatro alla Scala the name of the winner of the Antonio Mormone International Prize will be announced.
12. The jury of each rounds will be different. Each member of the jury should express his/her opinion on different subjects submitted by the artistic direction; all those aspects will contribute to the final decision, under the responsibility of the artistic direction of the Prize.
13. Decisions taken by the jury are incontestable. The registration to participate in the Antonio Mormone International Prize entails the implicit acceptance of all the Jury decision in every round.
Rights to each performance
14. All rights to each performance, audio or/and video recording of the Prize belong to the Foundation La Società dei Concerti. Recordings, streaming, radio or television broadcastings of the performances do not, by any means, give eligibility to any kind of remuneration for the performer or performers.
Acceptance of rules
15. The registration to participate in the Antonio Mormone International Prize entails the implicit acceptance of all the rules in the current Regulation. In the event of claims or complaints only the Italian language version of the rules will be applicable.
16. The Court of Milan will be competent for any dispute.
Premio Internazionale Antonio Mormone
C.so di Porta Vittoria, 18 - 20122 Milano - Tel.: +390266984134
With the patronage of
In collaboration with
The Prize is member of